Swann's Way Reflection

 After reading the first part of Swann's Way, I have mixed feelings. I unfortunately found it more difficult to read than I had expected. It wasn't the hardest text i've ever read, but I definitely found myself having to re-read sentences and even whole pages. The author uses extremely long sentences, as well as extensive imagery at which some points I had a hard time picking up on. I guess this just proves I need to spend more time with a book in my hand! Despite being a challenging read, I did enjoy the content of the novel. I believe in the first few pages of the book, the author is going in and out of sleep, and describes the dreams and memories that return to him while in this state. Marcel seems to cling to memories of his childhood, specifically his life in Combray. He speaks about family experiences, and the emotions he felt during those times. 

One particular aspect of the novel really stood out to me, is the attachment Marcel has to his mother as a child. Throughout the novel, he refers to all of his family as "grandfather, grandmother, father" etc, while referring to his mother as "Mama". This already proving the bond he had with her. Marcel speaks emotionally about how the only thing that would bring him comfort before bed, was a goodnight kiss from his mother. He would look forward to this soft moment with her so much that the thought of her returning downstairs afterward would fill him with sadness. He would even dread days when their family had company over because that meant his mother would not even bother to come upstairs to kiss him goodnight. On page 23, Marcel even expresses that Swann's company brought him pain because of this. Though Marcel's mother thought sharing this tender moment with her son was important, his father thought otherwise, suggesting it would inhibit him from being tough and independent. This result in resentment towards his father. 

I think this really stood out to me because I find it somewhat relatable. When I was a young child I used to sleep in my mothers room because i was absolutely terrified of the dark. Some nights she would leave me in her room to watch TV in the living room. As silly as it sounds, I would be so scared sitting in the dark alone, that I used to count every single second until she would come back to check on me. When she finally would, i would be overwhelmed with a sense of comfort. That being said, to some degree I could truly feel the emotion that Marcel would when his mother came to his room for a kiss. 

My question for the class: Do you think the affection a mother shares with her child would cause them to later lack initiative, individuality or confidence?



Comments

  1. Hi Breanne! I relate to the difficulty you had reading the book! I'm not used to reading these types of books so I also had to re-read most of the parts. As for your question, I think that a mother's affection would not cause the child to later lack initiative, individually, or confidence. If anything, I think not having this affection would instead lead to a lack of these things, since the child might endure a lot of feelings of self-doubt and insecurity stemming from a lack of a mothers affection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Breanne! I also struggled reading this book, I did the same thing having to read sentences over and over again to understand. I love what you noticed about him referring to his mother as "Mama". The attachment Marcel had with his mother also stood out to me, but I did not catch that until I read your blog post! Great observation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I really liked your note on his difference in name with his mother. I hadn't thought about it before reading your post and it really helped me think more about his connection to her haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introductory blog!

Bonjour Tristesse by Francoise Sagan

W, or The Memory of Childhood by Georges Perec